Australia is one of the most sought-after destinations for higher studies, especially for Indian students. It is because Australia offers you a wide variety of subjects to pursue in famous universities that adorn their departments with the most learned faculty members. The country has a vibrant culture that works in favour of students and also extends student-friendly policies. Australia also thrives with work opportunities for students who wish to work after completing their academic endeavours.
For a foreign student to get admission to one of the prestigious colleges of Australia, one must appear for the IELTS exams. It is a test conducted to assess the English speaking abilities of non-native English speakers. It is important to pass the language proficiency test since English is the primary communicative language of the country.
However, just appearing for the test is not enough. One must secure a good score band to get admitted to one of the colleges or to secure a permanent residency visa. In this article, we shall talk about the minimum IELTS score for Australia you will require.
Minimum IELTS Score for Student VISA in Australia
If you are planning to pursue your degree course, your IELTS score has to be at least 6.0 to 6.5. In the case of immigration to work related purposes, it has to be 5.5.
The minimum IELTS band necessary for an undergraduate course or diploma is 6 or 6.5 while for postgraduate courses, it is 6.5 with a minimum of 6 in each of the sections.
The IELTS score for Australia is determined by 3 bands of IELTS scores which correspond to a candidate’s score point. These are:
- Competent English IELTS score- if you get a score of 6 or more, you earn 0 points.
- Proficient English IELTS score- for scores between 7.0 and 8.0, you get 10 points
- Superior English IELTS score- for scores of 8.0 and higher, you get 20 points.
As you go higher in the scoreline, your chances of admission to the best universities get secure. While there are several universities that will happily accept your application with a score band of 6.5, you might want to work a little harder to crack that favourite university of yours.
A Glance at a few Australian Universities and their IELTS scores cut off.
Australia has some of the highest-ranking universities in the world. That is why the IELTS score for Australia is a bit on the steeper side. Let us look at some of the universities and their cut off requirements
- University of Melbourne– 7.0 for both undergraduate and postgraduate degree
- Australian National University- 6.5 for an undergraduate degree while 7.0 for postgraduate
- University of Sydney- 6.5 for both undergraduate and postgraduate degree
- Monash University- 6.5 for both undergraduate and postgraduate degree
- University of Adelaide- 6.5 for both undergraduate and postgraduate degree
- University of Technology Sydney: 6.0 for undergraduate and 6.5 for a postgraduate degree.
Tips for Achieving a Good Score Band
Keep in mind that there will be thousands of students competing against you to get that one seat in your dream college. Thus, take the best preparation to land the best IELTS score for Australia. Some of the tips are:
- Prepare well for your speaking round.
- Choose topics wisely
- Do not worry about the accent
- Go through previous papers and interview people who have appeared earlier
- Set aside at least 2 hours of each day to prepare for your IELTS
- While filling out your registration form, make sure that you choose the maximum number of colleges to send out your application because it is always better to keep backups.
If you keep the above tips in mind, you are sure to achieve a decent IELTS score for Australia.